Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Crafting Tip: Don't be Afraid to Try Something New

Over the past few weeks, one of my good friends requested that I make an original piece of art for her home. Me, wanting to make sure it was special, decided to work with something that I am not used to of working with very often. I chose to work with clay because it allows me to make my own shapes, sizes, and details. Even though I make my masks with clay, I usually use a mold. So I am not actually shaping the clay or making the size (I add all the personal touches and other details after the clay has dried). To make it a little more difficult, this piece needed to be bigger than most of the stuff I have ever done before! But I went out of my comfort zone a little and decided to give it a try. This is what I came up with!



This piece came out pretty nice, if I do say so myself! I enjoyed the challenge of putting all the details where I felt they looked best. I sent my friend a photo of this piece. She was pleased and even asked if I could do anything with smurfs for one of her friends. Again, I welcomed the challenge!

Not perfect. But it still came out pretty good!
So this is what I learned: not to shy away from a challenge. Trying new things is what helps us grow and improve. For crafts, try different materials, techniques, colors, or patterns. In life, well, you never know!!!

What about you? Have you tried any new projects lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment